Chicago Latino Group Presents US Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis with 2010 Woman in Action Award
Chicago, Ill. (March 17, 2010) â€' Supporters of the well respected Mujeres Latinas en Accion, an organization that strives to empower fellow Latinas, gathered at the Hyatt in downtown Chicago on Thursday in celebration of Mujeresâ€™ annual gala, Mujeres Latinas Accion â€śVoces Unidas 2010â€ť. The gala was attended by 450 influential guests who joined together and raised $240,000 for operational funds needed to support the group. For the second consecutive year, Verizon Wireless has taken the lead the yearâ€™s Voces Unidas dinner as the Presenting Sponsor.
The silent auction took a â€śgreenâ€ť initiative by replacing paper bid sheets with Events.orgâ€™s Interactive Auction System. Bids on exciting auction items, including a private house for six nights in Puerto Vallarta, were placed using touch screen kiosks located around the event. Also used was the newest edition to the Interactive Auction System, Text Bidding. Guests could choose to be notified if they were outbid by receiving a text message and also increase their bid by responding to the text message.
Entertainment was spared no expense as guests watched Flamenco Dancers from Ensemble Espanol take over the dance floor. The highlight for many however was the 2010 Mujer en AcciĂłn (Woman in Action) Award presented to Sara Manzano-Diaz, Director of the Womenâ€™s Bureau of the Department of Labor on behalf of honoree, United States Secretary of Labor, Hilda Solis, who was unable to attend the event.
â€śMujeres is very lucky to have the support that we do,â€ť said Alba Gomez, Donor Advisor of Mujeres. â€śEvents like this make it possible for us to continue to provide services for Latinas and their families. Without our sponsors and donors this successful event would not be possible, we are very grateful to have such committed audienceâ€ť
Registration and auction support was provided by Events.org, a leading technology management company providing innovative technology solutions to organizations across the country.
Mujeres Latinas en Accion is bilingual/bicultural non-profit, community-based organization in Chicago. Its mission is to empower their fellow Latinas by offering services that reflect their values and cultures and by advocating on issues that matter to Latinas.
Started in 1973 in the Pilsen neighborhood, Mujeres is one of the longest standing Latina incorporated organizations in the United States primarily administered by, and working on behalf of, Latina women. Over the years Mujeres has developed a comprehensive array of social services and advocacy initiatives that promote non-violence and leadership development. For more information visit http://www.mujereslatinasenaccion.org
Events.org, founded in 2002 by a philanthropic foundation, is a premiere software management and consulting company, providing on-demand software and services to charities, schools, universities, and non-profit foundations across the nation. Launched with two primary goals Events.org aims to help facilitate the non-profit sectorâ€™s growth into e-philanthropy and to connect Internet users with a way to support their local community. Organizations are able to reach a wider audience through integrated on-line and off-line event registration, online, live, silent, and interactive auction, donor management software, secure payment processing, and an exclusive calendar of non-profit events from around the country. For more information visit http://www.events.org
User comments, Ratings and Reviews
[Bookmark & read later
/ Comment this story ]
Katiw from 75.59.173.xxx
Article Taged as : chicago, latino, group, presents, secretary, labor, hilda, solis, with, 2010, woman, action, award, http, www.events.org, chicago, latino, group, presents, secretary, labor, hilda, solis, with, 2010, woman, action, award,
Article Viewed 4468 times.
Positive attitude 1 votes [0%]
Negetive attitude 1 votes [0%]
News Article Source & Groups
You can find this article under group.
And brought to you by Channel ,
The XMl Feed Type and collected data bytes sized news and still counting.
Feed Server name is and Code Page (Not Defined/Un Known)
: : Chicago Latino Group Presents US Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis with 2010 Woman in Action Award
Date Listed : Friday, March 19, 2010
Source : ,
- New Website Presents Comprehensive Collection of Cesarean Rates.Data reflects expectations of transparency in hospital reporting, healthcare spending, and accountability to pregnant women.(PRWeb February 16, 2012)Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/2/prweb9199764.htm
- Chicago Doctor Wants To Develop Clinic For Transgender ChildrenA doctor at Children's Memorial Hospital he would like to help develop a clinic for transgender children.
- Chicago Cancer Center Warned About Counterfeit Cancer DrugThe FDA is warning doctors across the country, including a facility in Chicago, about counterfeit vials of the cancer drug Avastin.
- Chicago Teen Using Laughs To Cope With CancerThey say laughter is the best medicine, and a Chicago father-son duo is really put that old adage to the test.
- Chicago Public Schools To Begin Stocking EpipensThe Chicago Public Schools plan to begin keeping medication on hand to treat allergic reactions that could prove deadly to students.
- Chicagoans Continue Work To Build Childrens Hospital In HaitiA group of Chicagoans trying to help recovery efforts in Haiti, two years after the devastating earthquake, gathered at Children's Memorial Hospital Thursday to discuss the on-going effort.
- Attraction Not just for the birdsA Day-Glo birdhouse that sits unoccupied raises questions for a young girl about the nature of attraction.
- Atlanta Group Presents Issues in Business Psychology at National Conference Turknett Leadership Group has been invited to deliver four presentations that address significant issues facing executives and HR practitioners in a changing workplace at the 25th Meeting of the Society ...
- New Quest Energy Efficient Home By Modular Lifestyles Inc. To Be Featured Attraction at Sacramento Green Expo April 24 25 2010 Modular Lifestyles, Inc. will be revealing their first-of-it's-kind "Quest" Energy Efficient factory built home at the upcoming Sacramento Green Expo. Utilizing state-of-the-art technologies, the Quest home exceeds California UBC ...
- En bref noubliez pas le Sidaction De vendredi ŕ dimanche 28, 4.500 bénévoles et la plupart des médias se mobilisent pour le Sidaction 2010. Pensez-y !
Le 110 sera partout ce week-end : comme lors des précédentes ...