New Jersey Kids Marathon Bolsters Nationwide Efforts to Fight Childhood Obesity
Childhood obesity has reached near epidemic proportions and threatens the healthy future of millions of American children. With spring approaching, a New Jersey hospital is urging families to help their kids make a fresh start for improved health by signing them up for a kids marathon.
Princeton, NJ, February 24, 2010 -- Childhood obesity has reached near epidemic proportions and threatens the healthy future of millions of American children.
With spring approaching, a New Jersey hospital is urging families to help their kids make a fresh start for improved health by signing them up for the Princeton HeathCare KIDS MARATHON, a 26.2-mile run that kids can gradually complete over time.
The KIDS MARATHON, a project of the Auxiliary of University Medical Center at Princeton, encourages children to tackle 2.5 miles per week for 10 weeks, starting March 20 â€' the first day of spring. The marathon concludes with a final 1.2 mile â€śFun Runâ€ť that takes place June 6 on the Princeton University campus.
â€śThe Kids Marathon is designed to promote good health and help children incorporate fitness into their daily routines,â€ť said event co-chair Amy Rabner. â€śWe all know that obesity is a growing problem among school-aged children with serious and life-long consequences. The time to start building healthy habits is now.â€ť
The percentage of young people who are overweight has more than tripled since 1980, according to data from the National Center for Health Statistics, with nearly one in three children in America now considered overweight or obese â€' a statistic with enormous implications for future health.
â€śThe health consequences of childhood obesity are enormous, both in the short term and in the long term,â€ť said Bert Mandelbaum, MD, chairman of pediatrics for Princeton HealthCare System. â€śObese children are at risk for diseases like asthma and obstructive sleep apnea. Many of them will also go on to suffer more silent, long term diseases such as Type 2 Diabetes and high blood pressure.â€ť
The problem of childhood obesity is prompting a variety of responses to combat it, from grassroots efforts like the KIDS MARATHON to new national efforts to help children get healthy.
First Lady Michelle Obama recently announced â€śLetâ€™s Move,â€ť a nationwide campaign to tackle the challenge of childhood obesity through diet, exercise and education.
Rabner said the KIDS MARATHON complements the First Ladyâ€™s efforts, giving families a fun, goal-oriented program that can put children on the path to better health.
Participants in the KIDS MARATHON are offered a variety of options to go the distance â€' jogging, playing youth sports like baseball and soccer, walking to school, and more. Small prizes are provided to children every two weeks to mark each five miles conquered and encourage them toward their goal.
The marathon combines its pro-fitness message with a message of environmental good health and community-spirited generosity. The event encourages children to give back to their community by raising funds for the Pediatric Clinic at University Medical Center at Princeton. Each child is asked to find 10 sponsors to contribute $1 per-mile (a $26 pledge). Children are also encouraged to complete a series of â€śGreen Deedsâ€ť to help the environment.
The KIDS MARATHON is open to children from kindergarten through eighth grade. A $25 registration fee includes a t-shirt, a commemorative medal, prizes for every five miles logged, as well as goodie bags, snacks and Mylar blankets â€' the shiny, metallic wrapping typically given to marathon runners after a race.
To register, and for more information, visit the eventâ€™s web site at http://www.princetonkidsmarathon.org/ or call the auxiliary at (609) 497-4069.
User comments, Ratings and Reviews
[Bookmark & read later
/ Comment this story ]
John Patella from 122.174.119.xxx
Article Taged as : jersey, kids, marathon, bolsters, nationwide, efforts, fight, childhood, obesity, http, www.princetonkidsmarathon.org, jersey, kids, marathon, bolsters, nationwide, efforts, fight, childhood, obesity,
Article Viewed 4359 times.
Positive attitude 1 votes [0%]
Negetive attitude 1 votes [0%]
News Article Source & Groups
You can find this article under group.
And brought to you by Channel ,
The XMl Feed Type and collected data bytes sized news and still counting.
Feed Server name is and Code Page (Not Defined/Un Known)
: : New Jersey Kids Marathon Bolsters Nationwide Efforts to Fight Childhood Obesity
Date Listed : Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Source : ,
- The Towing Network Launches Nationwide Service The Towing Network operates a nationwide call center located in Brunswick, Ohio, that brings motor carriers to the towing community in a new way.
Brunswick, OH, March 16, 2010 -- The ...
- Vibrating Exercise Machine: A perfect source to fighting against obesity With the increase in level of awareness and consciousness among people regarding fitness and with the advent of latest technology in the fitness field, it has now become important for ...
- Globe Communications Employs OpticFit for Its Nationwide Optical Network Expansion Los Angeles, California â€" (04 March 2010) â€" OpticFit, the leading provider of technology solutions, announced that Globe Communications is employing OpticFitâ€™s optical transceivers as part of its nationwide high-speed ...
- Green Room Retail Focus Their Efforts On Stellar Window Design Birmingham, United Kingdom (February 26, 2010) - Leading expert provider of retail solutions including retail design, point-of-purchase, shop-in-shop and flagship store design, have been championing the benefits of attractive window ...
- Dinair Launches New Nationwide Airbrush Makeup Sweepstakes Lucky winners will receive the latest in makeup technology with the Dinair Airbrush Makeup Kit
Los Angeles, CA â€" February 25, 2010 -- Dinair, the leader in airbrush makeup since 1981, ...
- New Jersey Kids Marathon Bolsters Nationwide Efforts to Fight Childhood Obesity Childhood obesity has reached near epidemic proportions and threatens the healthy future of millions of American children. With spring approaching, a New Jersey hospital is urging families to help their ...
- Efforts Polymers Pvt. Ltd. announces the launch of their Business Website. Efforts Polymers Pvt. Ltd., Bahadurgarh is delighted to announce the launch of its website http://www.indiamart.com/effortspolymers/ that will be of tremendous value to our customers. The company, is one of the ...
- La Creche Early Childhood Centers,Inc Receive Free Prescription Help From Charles Myrick/American Consultants Rx FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
As millions of Americans strive to deal with the economic downturn,loss of jobs,foreclosures,high cost of gas,and the rising cost of prescription drug cost. Charles Myrick ,the President of ...
- COMPLETE RANGE OF DENTISTRY AND FACIAL COSMETICS AVAILABLE AT NEW JERSEY PRACTICE Dental Exams To Botox Offered To Existing And New Patients
Cliffside Park, NJ, USA: Patients who are looking for a comprehensive and professional practice offering both dentistry and facial ...
- FULL RANGE OF DENTAL TREATMENTS AVAILABLE TO PATIENTS IN NEW JERSEY Botox, Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures And More Provided By Experts
Clifton, NJ, USA: Patients who want a full service dentistry practice that also offers cosmetic dentistry and botox procedures can ...